Saturday, March 13, 2010

Meeting the Mentor.

So, first things first.

I have one follower. Hi Mom (EDIT: Make mine a double. Hi to you too, Lindsay).

I also asked a question in the last post and got exactly one less response than I have followers. To express that as an equation: Number of Answers = Number of Followers - 1.

For those of you who are even worse at math than I am, that equals... zero.

So I have an idea that I'm basically just speaking to myself on this thing. Whatever. I will march bravely onward, telling the walls on my room and them Internets how the guitar build is going.

I've made a couple of trips out to Clayton since the last post. The body of El Kabong is now roughly shaped... meaning, if I stop this project RIGHT NOW, I would have a Stratocaster-shaped cutting board:

None of the cavities have been routed yet, nor has the neck pocket been started. I basically got as far as Keith's help alone could go before we wandered into completely unknown territory. We got right up to the border and then...

I called Bill Allen. Bill is the mentor I referenced a couple of posts ago. He invited me out to his home in Smithfield, so I jumped in the car... and drove to the grocery store.

Then I drove home to unload the groceries, then drove out to Smithfield.

Bill is an extremely nice guy, first and foremost. Secondly, he has built about seven guitars and repaired many others. Third, he plays bass as his primary instrument, which earns him bonus points in my book.

Bill had a look at the work we'd done so far and informed me that it was off to a really good start (whew). We looked at the plans, he gave me a tour of his instruments, then a little advice on next steps.

So, basically... I have to finish shaping the body first. Maybe you can't tell from the above pictures, but that body is monstrously thick for a guitar. It currently sits just a hair under two inches thick, which is almost half an inch too much. So, that needs to be trimmed, and then I'll look at carving the contours into the back and sides to make the thing, you know... comfortable to play.

This also includes routing the cavities for the electronics - all those weird shapes you saw in the templates where the pickups and wires go. I've decided to wait on that until I actually have the hardware in hand - most Strats have their pickups mounted to the pickguard, and I want mine mounted to the wood itself. So, I'll have to adjust the plan slightly.

Now, another topic...

5 comments:

  1. I'm reading, Jake. Keep up the good work and the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Modem Oprah just ate my comment. I love your strat cutting board - it's really coming along! And I love reading your blog. People tell me they love reading mine too, but they don't comment either. Go figure. I keep typing though, but sometimes I think I do it for myself more than for anyone else. Writing about making progress on something, whether it's building a guitar or gestating, is always fun to reflect on after the fact :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob,
    I'm a lurker, not a joiner, but I know that helps you none.
    I'm interested to see your project take shape and I admire your courage in taking it on. Enjoy the process. When it's done it will be uniquely yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I am not very good with words unless I am writing a story, but as I said to you before, I am here and reading. I am proud that you have finally jumped in and started working on this dream you have had for such a long time and can't wait to hear you play Little Black Rain Cloud on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since I griped, I have officially quadrupeled my followers and gotten enough comments to be satisfied. Glad to see all of you on hee-yah.

    ReplyDelete