Friday, February 19, 2010

Silver lining.

So, yesterday was a pretty rotten day for Keith. His dog, Scout, had to be put down. She was an old dog, and she was maybe the nicest dog I've ever met. I'm gonna miss that puppy.

Keith has one employee. He's not really even technically "employed" by Quality Woodcrafts, since he doesn't actually want to get paid. Robert (I think) is his name. He just comes over while his wife is at work so he can get out of the house and do something he likes doing.

Well, Robert (I think) noticed that Keith was in a foul mood, which is understandable. He managed to convince Keith to get out of the house for a while, so they went to visit some family member of Robert (I think)'s.

This gentleman, as it turns out, is a luthier. His name is Bill - that one I'm sure of. He builds acoustics, electrics, mandolins... all by hand, from start to finish.

So, I guess this one does have a silver lining. For me, at least.

Bill and Keith started talking, and the subject turned to guitars. Keith mentioned my interest in learning to build instruments, and Bill told him that he would be happy to speak with me and answer questions, and also invited Keith and I to come visit his workshop. He even volunteered to work with me in Keith's shop.

Long story short - I may actually have a mentor. Effing Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment